Rain ... Elsewhere

As Chennai continues to be dry, with only a couple of weeks to go before the end of the monsoon season, the rest of the South is getting a lot of rain. Here's a picture that caught my eye, taken in Pondicherry, about 4 hours' drive south of here -- from today's New Indian Express:


A family in Rainbow Nagar braves it out during the rain on Sunday


How docilely these people have lined up to be photographed! I got the feeling that they would have done the same even if the water were higher.

The main thing about this photograph - for me - is that they have posed for it. But since my previous post was about some very ordinary buildings: This shows another level of domestic architecture. It represents an income level higher than the palm-leaf hut, but several steps below the other houses mentioned in my post.

No comments: