Bombay Bazaar

Dublog is back. Here's one from there, with good photographs of Bombay, and an entertaining text:

Bombay Bazaar

Photography and text by Catherine Karnow, with quotes from Pico Iyer.

In the fall of 1996 I traveled to Bombay to work with Pico Iyer on a story for Islands magazine. The piece would be published in 1997, the year of the Golden Jubilee, the fiftieth anniversary of India's independence from Britain. Pico's family were from Bombay. The city was for him his "step-motherland." Pico went before me, and I followed to make my pictures.

Since I had grown up in the sixties in British Hong Kong, Bombay was at once familiar. As soon as I stepped out of the airport there was that same musty humid smell. It felt old, like sixties Asia: faded posters, smudged paint, life on the streets, a slow pace. At the airport curb were a line of tiny toy taxis painted yellow and black...


At Film City, Bollywood's largest film studio, actors in a T.V. series,
"The Life of Shiva," get ready for their scene.

No comments: