The Quotidian

I dreamed that Ramesh and I were walking on the road along Marina Beach and Ramesh told me that someone we knew had died of reverse osmosis. I said, “So many people are dying of that lately.”

Mary gave me yesterday's account and today's, along with a shiny five rupee coin. Usually I don't get anything back, it was like a gift. Red chillie powder, green chillies, carrots, tomatoes, cucumber, eggplant - small ones, for sambar. The daily purchase of four or five vegetables.

Sitting in the xerox shop, waiting for my work to be completed. The smells of the men coming in - perfumes and the sharpness of coconut hair oil.

Two women walked down the street smiling. One was holding the other's wrist and talking. They wore bright saris in shades of purple. The shorter one carried a huge empty basket on her head. One hand swung free, the other was held by her companion.

No comments: