Akuri

Last week I was looking for a recipe for Akuri (Parsi scrambled eggs) which a Parsi friend had written out for me years ago. I couldn't find it anywhere. Then a few days ago, I was idly surfing, and there was my recipe! I had posted it to a foodie email list, dropped out of it and forgotten. How wondrous is the Internet!

Anyway, here it is - my favourite Parsi dish. It's very easy, you can make the vegetable component and freeze it. You can even freeze it in ice cube trays, and thaw out enough to stir into your eggs:

Akuri



6 eggs
Salt to taste
1/4 cup milk
1/2 inch fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic (or to taste)
4 medium onions, chopped
2 tblsp ghee (or butter)
2 small tomatoes, chopped
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
4 green chillies
1 bunch (small) coriander, chopped
1/4 tsp turmeric

Break the eggs in a bowl, add salt and milk, mix lightly. Grind garlic and ginger together in a paste. In a frying pan, fry onions in ghee until golden brown. Add ginger-garlic paste, fry for a couple of minutes, add tomatoes, cumin seeds, chillies, coriander, turmeric. Cook for about five minutes, until all ingredients are well mixed. Remove from fire and allow to cool. Add the egg mixture, stir over medium heat until akuri resembles scrambled eggs.

No comments: