Demolition Day 2

Every time I saw this building I said goodbye to it, because I knew it couldn't survive -- The Elgi building on TTK Road. But somehow I missed its destruction. This picture is from the latest issue of Madras Musings, put out by a tiny group of people who care about what's happening to the city:



And while I'm at it, here's a picture I took, of the long-gone kerosene depot across the road (this is how kerosene is delivered, by men pulling these hand-carts) -- it was another old building, but already gone to seed. They're all going to high-rises, and the road is a mess already:



And I read in the same issue of Madras Musings that the Agri-Horticultural Society building has been pulled down as well -- another heritage building in a city that cares nothing for its history.

No comments: