A Couple of Things

I was watching Mehbooba (1976), a Hindi film in the sub-genre of janam-janam saathi -- lovers whose bond is so strong that they keep meeting up, one lifetime after another.

How nice, to believe that if you screw up in this life you have another one -- many others -- to play around with.

It's a silly movie, but there's a beautiful song, Mere naina saavan-bhadon... 'My eyes are full of tears, but still my heart is thirsty...' This kind of intense romanticism generally arouses skepticism in me, but with the beautiful melody and the beautiful voice of Kishore Kumar, the lyrics also seemed beautiful.

Saavan-bhadon literally names two months of the year, which are the monsoon months -- like saying 'my heart is February-March,' when you want to say 'My heart is very cold.'

I tried to write an English ghazal once, which failed -- but there was one bit I liked:
My eyelashes glisten with shards
splintered from my heart.


Such a beautifully written blog: Zellar: Open All Night. I wish I could write like this, so ... open, so large. It looks easy, but it's not. Never fails to surprise me.

And while I'm at it, what about adieu.nu? Bruised and inward and noir-ish.

I'm so grateful when I read work like this.

No comments: