Another Dinner

We went to a dinner party, at the home of some people we don't know very well. The women were talking about a girl they knew who had gone into films. The hostess said, "I told her, you're making a big mistake. It's all right now, but you'll have trouble getting married. She wasn't bothered, but now every time I see her mother she says, 'Find a good boy for my daughter.' And it's very difficult - I can't suggest."

I asked, "Is that true of all girls who go into films, or only some?" One of the women replied, "No, it's very difficult to find a boy, because all the girls in films have to behave in a certain way." Another guest took exception to this, saying that she wouldn't mind getting her son married to an actress. The first woman said, "They can get married no doubt, but not to people like us."

No comments: