Out of Station; and Zombies

We're going out of town for a couple of weeks, during which time I will assiduously avoid the computer.



I wondered what to post today, and suddenly I felt like re-reading Donald Barthelme's story, 'The Zombies.' You probably all know it already; but in case you don't, it's here.

...If a bad zombie gets you, he will weep on you, or take away your whiskey, or hurt your daughter's bones. There are too many daughters in the square, in the windows of the buildings, and not enough husbands. If a bad zombie gets you, he will scratch your white paint with awls and scarifiers. The good zombies skitter and dance. "Did you see that lady? Would that lady marry me? I don't know! Oh what a pretty lady! Would that lady marry me? I don't know!" The beer distributor has set up a keg of beer in the square. The local singing teacher is singing. The zombies say: "Wonderful time! Beautiful day! Marvelous singing! Excellent beer! Would that lady marry me? I don't know!" In a high wind the leaves fall from the trees, from the trees. ...

No comments: