In Beulah Land

I'm a memsahib now. But when I lived in Washington, D.C., I tuned in every Sunday morning to a radio program called Stained Glass Bluegrass, on WAMU. When the Bluegrass Cardinals played in Lahore (yes! really! -- brought there by the now-defunct USIA), I stood up and requested 'There is a Fountain Filled With Blood.'

How it happened is, I started with folk music as a teenager, and moved on to folklore, and thence to comparative religion and from there to here -- it's all connected.

The point being that I just saw a link on Zellar: Open All Night to this links page, which connected me to a bluegrass gospel lyrics index, and two links for Sacred Harp, which is wonderful to sing -- very austere harmonies, and meant for participation, not for listening apart: Fasola and The Sacred Harp Online Index.

Lovely stuff.

(Update: Thanks to Bill of Prairie Point, who sent me another Sacred Harp link -- an NPR program, Preserving the Sacred Harp Tradition. Be sure to listen to it, if you've never heard Sacred Harp before.)

No comments: