My Lord, My Cannibal

I've been re-reading A. K. Ramanujan's Hymns for the Drowning: Poems for Vishnu by Nammalvar (out of print, alas). Nammalvar (approx. AD 880-930) was one of the twelve Alvars, Tamil saint-poets devoted to Vishnu. They wrote the earliest devotional poetry in any Indian language. I want to post more on the Alvars, but for now, here is a group of three poems:

My Lord, My Cannibal

1

My dark one
stands there as if nothing's changed
after taking entire
into his maw
all three worlds
the gods
and the good kings
who hold their lands
as a mother would
a child in her womb--

and I
by his leave
have taken him entire

and I have him in my belly
for keeps

2

I don't understand why,

while all the worlds
live within him

and he lives within them
by birthright,

our lord of Katkarai
of gardens blowing with fragrance,

should assault
and devour this poor little
soul of mine

with his grace.

3

While I was waiting eagerly for him
saying to myself,

"If I see you anywhere
I'll gather you
and eat you up,"

he beat me to it
and devoured me entire,

my lord dark as raincloud,
my lord self-seeking and unfair.

No comments: